Sawant Makes History at World Championships


Tejaswini Sawant scripted history on Sunday by becoming the first Indian woman shooter to clinch a gold medal at the World Championships with a world-record equalling score in the 50m Rifle Prone event in Munich, Germany. Sawant shot a score of 597, equalling the 1998 record set by Marina Bobkova of Russia.


An elated Tejaswini said she only wanted to give her best in the event and was not even thinking about a medal let alone the world record. The 29-year-old Tejaswini hails from Kolhapur.Tejaswini said although pursuing shooting is no easy task in small towns like hers, she made it big due to her parents' support. "There are difficulties but instead of complaining, I think it is better to use them as motivation and work harder. That's what my parents taught me while they supported my dreams," she said.Tejaswini said the morale-boosting historic triumph also sets her up perfectly for the Commonwealth Games this October.

"The preparations has been on for a long time and this has just added to my confidence. I can't describe how happy I am right now," she said. National coach Sunny Thomas was equally elated for his ward.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post